So, your spouse is deployed or is training away from home. Now, you are on your own at home – alone. What do you need to know about personal safety when living alone? There are many things your can do to be secure and safe.
“At the end of the day, the goals are simple: safety and security.” –Jodi Rell
I have listed 10 super easy ways to stay safe when you live alone.
- Your phone is your best friend
- Keep your phone handy and charged all the time you never know when one call could save your life.
- Limit social media status when out to avoid the wrong person from knowing your comings and goings.
Be alert around your house
- Use a peephole or chain on the door if you have one to protect yourself of unwanted attacks.
- Keep windows locked when not in use and curtains closed at night. Privacy is very important when living alone not to mention you don’t want to advertise you live alone.
- Make sure your mailbox only lists your first initial and your last name.
- Add a pair of big boots near your front door to appear like some else lives with you.
- Install a Home Security
- Meet your Neighbors
- Whether you live on base or off introduce yourself to your neighbors that way you can create a neighborly friendship. Your neighbors could save your life one day so meet them.
- Its important to know neighbors everyday habits and what kind of cars they drive to catch any usual activity.
- Research crime near your home so you know what to expect. You can also join a local Facebook community group to find out the happenings of your area. Its always good to be informed and aware of what’s going on near you.
- Lock It Up
- Protect your house keys
- Run errands during the day
- Get a Pet
- Stay in touch with near by family or friends
- Do not be home alone if a stranger from a company has to stop by.
- Invite family or friends over regularly to keep your house lively and full with people. This creates an illusion that you don’t live alone.
- Ask friend or family member to be an ally for instances when you feel unsafe home alone and need someone to come over.
- Purchase a Weapon
What are your tricks for staying safe when living alone? Leave a comment.