Military Spouse Appreciation Day 2016
Military spouses of all branches are appreciated today for supporting their spouses who serve in the military. I think its a great time and reminder to remember just how much you do in supporting your family and our country. Its okay to take the time to be appreciated by others especially your spouse.
I do love how Taya Kyle said, “We don’t do it for glory; we do it for love.”
Isn’t it true being a military spouse isn’t necessary something you choose but happens to find you? Each military spouse is unique, strong and trying to make it everyday. President Ronald Reagan recognized the importance of military spouses continued commitment to supporting and caring for the well-being of military members.
On May 23, 1984 the first Military Spouse Day with Proclamation 5184 by President Ronald Reagan.
Over time US Secretary of Defense, Caspar Weinberger helped to standardized when we should celebrate Military Spouse Appreciation Day yearly declaring the day would be the Friday preceding Mother’s Day.
Yearly, each US President commemorated this day with a speech or proclamation. Here is what President Obama has proclaimed this year to honor Military Spouses.
10 Ways to Thank Military Spouses
- Hire them!
- Welcome them to your neighborhood when they move in.
- Check in regularly.
- Invite them for coffee at your home or a local shop.
- Send flowers. Better yet, deliver them personally.
- Catch a funny movie together.
- Offer to babysit during date night.
- Be an exercise “accountability” partner.
- Simply say, “Thank you, too, for serving.”
- Spread the word that May 6, 2016, is Military Spouse Appreciation Day.
–This list can found at USAA Financial Advice Blog
Check out these great blog articles about Military Spouse Appreciation Day!
What do you think of Military Spouse Appreciation Day? Leave you a comment with your thoughts.
Categories: Military Spouse Life